Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Remembering Mom

We had an incredible service for my Mom. It was hard but wow, she would have loved it. Hundreds of people came to the visitation and relived their wonderful memories they had of Mom with us. The funeral was lovely and so very touching. It was hard to say goodbye and I'm still in a bit of shock but I know we will be okay.

I wanted to share the eulogies that were read at the funeral. This first one was from my nephew Dustin. 25 years ago my sister gave him up for adoption. His wonderful Mother kept tabs on my sister so she would always know where she was. Eight years ago, they both came into our family. It is truly an incredible story.

My biological mother called me tonight to inform me that my Grandmother passed away from an apparent heart attack. When people find out I'm adopted and that I know my biological family, the first question they ask me is, "Wow, what was that like? Meeting them? That had to be weird."

Maybe I've been lucky, but there's never been a weird/awkward moment in the 8 years I've known them. I can't remember a time where I didn't feel like I belonged. I think some of my Aunt's and Uncles might think I've been uncomfortable because I'm quiet, but I'm quiet when I'm comfortable. I definitely regret not spending more time getting to know my grandmother, but the time I have spent with and around her was enough to know there was love. I don't have many stories, but one of my favorites happened just this year when I went down to FL to stay with them.

My Grandparents picked me up at the airport, and I think it was the first time I had ever been alone with the two of them. To listen to them talk was like watching a classic episode of the Honeymooners, but my grandmother was the irritable one and my grandfather is the easy going one. Of course what made their arguements enjoyable was the fact that you didn't have to be around them long to know how much they loved each other. I've never witnessed a meaningful fight between the two, and for 50 years of marriage to still be so dedicated to one another, that's something I've never seen in my family.

So on with the story, we were riding along and talking, and we came up to this intersection. My grandpa says, "There's that cat that's been coming around the house."

I look towards where he was pointing, I didn't see a cat, I saw a tire tread and a beer can, but continued to look for the cat.

Then my grandmother says, "That's not a cat, that's a trash bag!"

I'm sitting in the back puzzled because I see no cat nor a trashbag.

I said, "Do you guys mean that tire tread on the side of the road?"

Both of them, "OH! It's a tire tread."

To be fair Grandma was closer, however I sudenly realized I should be the one driving.

Like I said I've never seen anyone be married that long and still be in love like that, but they have such a huge family, and it's full of love, a love that took me in from day one and made me a part of it. I'm very sad to see her go, but she was the matriarch of one of the most loving families I've ever seen, and I'm lucky enough to be a part of it. So thank you Grandma, and we'll meet again some day.


And my sister said this:


Who is Frances Keeven –


She is A woman who meant so much to so many people. She loved to sew, she loved to shop, she loved spending winters in Florida, but most of all she loved her family and friends.


Over the years she has taught us all so much, there are little phrases I’ve heard her say time and time again. The one that stands out the most is “God blesses big families” And yes God has blessed us, he blessed us with a Woman who set aside her own desires to become the Wife and Mother God knew she would be. He blessed us by bringing her back home to us from Florida and giving us these last few months with her. He blessed us by allowing her and Dad to celebrate 50 years of marriage with friends and family. We even got to watch them dance. He blessed us with an angel who will live in the hearts of the many lives she has touched over the years. But most of all he blessed us with the knowledge that she was a believer in our Lord and Savior – Jesus Christ, and because of that belief she was blessed with the gift of eternal life, and because of the hope we have in Jesus, we can go on knowing that some day we will see her again and when we do there will be no more heart ache and no more tears. We are gathered here today to celebrate her life – but our departing words need not be Good bye – It’s “Until we meet Again”.


And I say to you Mom, I love you and thank you. As someone said to me Monday night, "Oh Jenny I'm so sorry you lost your best friend" and yes, I did. I can't believe you are gone. Jonathan continues to ask for you and even asked me if you were sick, I told him, "Grandma is no longer sick baby, she is in heaven with the moon and stars." and his response was, "way up in the sky!". Yes sweet baby, Grandma is way up in the sky. She is our beautiful Angel. I'm trying hard to be strong Mom but I know the day that I have this baby, is going to be a very happy and a very sad day. I won't be able to call you and tell you that my son has arrived. I know you will know and I know I can still talk to you and you will always be there. I love you Mom, more than you will ever know.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Thank you for sharing some of the wonderful stories about your mom. She sounds like a truly wonderful woman.

And I'll bet she'll be right there with you when MJ is born.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Sherry said...

What beautiful stories and fond memories of your mom.

I, too, think she'll be right there with you when MJ arrives.

(((HUGS)))

9:13 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

oh Jelly, what beautiful words. Thank you for sharing those stories and memories of your Mom. ((hugs))

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter