Tuesday, August 22, 2006

"The golden years suck!"

I went to visit my parents last night and those are the words that stick in my head. Mom is still in a wheel chair with a PICC line but she looks good. She looks like she lost weight and her spirits seemed high. She said she is going to the bathroom in the bathroom vs the bedside toilet and this is a good thing! She is going to the grocery store with dad. I still worry. As the doc wants her on the antibiotics for 2 more weeks. She goes back next week and hopefully, he will tell her she can walk. She is ready. She wants to go to the country Labor Day weekend but it is impossible w/her wheel chair.

As for dad, he is doing some form of chemo for his skin cancer. They removed the squamous cells but he still had same basal cells (best kind to have) and the doc gave him a cream to put on it for 6wks and a wrap to cover his chest to protect it from the sun. The cancer is on his chest. Well when he removed the wrap I nearly flipped out! His entire chest and part of his shoulder is all red...like raw red. I asked him about it and he said that the doc told him that when he applied the cream, if it turned red, he had skin cancer there so dad kept rubbing the cream. OMG! I said "are you suppose to do that?" Well why not I mean I want to get rid of it all. Oh dad! Plus the doc said he doesn't need to come back for a recheck...hmmm I don't like that!

As I watched them helping each other I was yet again amazed by their love and strength. They are a beautiful couple and I am lucky to have them. I just wish the golden years were just that, golden.

1 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

(((Jelly))) I'm sorry things are still so difficult with your parents. Can you, or your sister(s), call the doc and find out if he needs to be seen?

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter